There’s nothing that can compare to filling your lungs full of fresh air. Getting outside is something that we don’t do enough as a society–myself included! This year, one of my goals has been to spend a significant amount of time outdoors. Here are some ideas for getting your family outside.
- Start a garden. It could be a flower garden, or vegetable garden. A vegetable garden has the added benefit of being easy on your budget. When you spend less money on vegetables, you can use those funds elsewhere! Regardless of what you grow, the point is to get out there and dig in the dirt. I love to spend a few mornings a week with my 3-year-old, watering our flowers and pulling weeds. We both feel so much more joyful and at peace afterwards.
- Get silly with your kids. Let them spray you with the hose! Run through the sprinkler with them! Kick a ball around, play catch, or if you’re feeling creative, run a relay race or set up a scavenger hunt.
- Take up hiking. In Florida, we have so many state parks that I still haven’t visited all of them. You don’t have to live in a mountainous area to go hiking. Visit your local state park or national park, and take in the sights. The most interesting parks are the ones with unusual wildlife.
- Get involved in city league sports. Baseball isn’t just for kids! Depending on your stage in life, signing up for city league sports may or may not work for you. But there are a lot of sports available, generally–basketball, baseball, and others. It’d be a great way to stay in shape and enjoy the outdoors.
- Spend more time at the park. Your kids will love this one! Even if you just relax on a bench and soak up some sunshine, the experience is beneficial to you as well. Find a local park near your house that can become “your park.” Going to the same one several times a month for years can create powerful memories for you as a family. Plus, it costs absolutely nothing to enjoy!
These are only a few ways to enjoy the outdoors, and step away from the stress of daily life. What are some of your favorite ways to get outside and play?
Thank you for visiting The Simple Lifestyle! Please consider subscribing to my newsletter at the top of this page, and following me on Facebook. Have a wonderful day!