What Is It For?
Decluttering is an essential part of simplifying your life. In its simplest form, decluttering just means getting rid of the things around your house that you don’t need or use anymore. Whether it is paperwork to be recycled, toys to be donated, or some other area of your home you’d like to tidy up, this process will be liberating for you.
Here are some indications that it might be time to declutter:
- You child’s toys don’t all fit in their room or in a storage closet anymore
- You feel stressed walking into a room in your house, because there is just too much stuff everywhere
- You don’t have a place for all your papers, knick knacks, or other belongings
- You don’t enjoy spending time in your home because it feels too crowded
How to Begin
If you have never decluttered your home before, the best way to attack it is to handle one room at a time. Depending on your time constraints and schedule, you might choose to clean out one room a week, or one room a month. If you have a small home or an apartment, you might be able to knock out the whole thing in a weekend. It depends on your living space and how much you want to do at once.
To start, grab two garbage bags–one for trash, one for recycling–and several cardboard boxes. Take them with you into the room you’re going to clean out. Work in sections of the room. Here is an example of how to clean separate sections of a bedroom.
- Closet: sort through your clothes, and see what doesn’t fit (or is never worn anymore). Determine a reasonable amount of clothes to donate, and put in a box
- Desk: sort through and toss/recycle old papers
- Dresser: repeat clothes sorting. Donate socks with no mate, etc.
- Bookshelves/nightstands: determine which books, magazines, or other belongings you use on a regular basis, or might truly use in the future. Any others, put in a box for donation
You can go through this same process with every room in your house. Sometimes it can be difficult to part with your possessions, especially if you tend to save most everything. But you will discover three incredible results after you’ve decluttered:
- 1. Your house looks wonderful!
- 2. You will spend much less time cleaning and organizing, because there is less stuff.
- 3. You feel liberated as you walk through your house, and observe the extra space you’ve created.
These 3 reasons make your effort worth it!
Decluttering can be a daunting task, but if you bite off one piece at a time, it’s very doable. The results will leave you wondering why you didn’t do it a long time ago! If you have comments or questions, please join the discussion!
Thank you for visiting The Simple Lifestyle! Please consider subscribing to my newsletter at the top of this page, and following me on Facebook. Have a wonderful day!